Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Deer Hunting

I shot a buck on Saturday evening (before dark)... I was so excited and so proud. Chris couldn't believe I actually did it. It was the best experience ever! I was standing 40yards away from the deer, standing pretty much in a middle of a field with my crossbow held in my hands...and at the right time, I just pulled the trigger.

I was a little sad at first because I knew that I hadn't missed, there was distinct pouf sound....but the deer had ran away...and of course, as soon as shot and I knew I hit it...I kind of started doing a 'happy dance' until I notice my hubby running in the direction of the deer to make sure he knew which way he had headed... Oops, I'm beginner I forgot to watch which way the deer took off.

It got dark really really really fast, Chris said the deer had run into some long grass and went left, I had a feeling it went right but I was busy doing a dance that I wasn't positive. Our flashlight was useless...but with it being so cold Saturday night, Chris said that it would be fine overnight and that we could come look first thing in the morning. We went first thing in the morning...and Chris went left...and I went right..and there it was...maybe 20ft from where we were looking the night before. I should have went with my gut instinct.

**I did not gut the deer myself nor will I ever do that dirty job, it was the most disgusting/smelling thing ever to see and watch**

Sorry if my picture grosses anyone out (Sorry, Lena!) but I can't blog about it and not sure you a picture of it....

1st deer (buck) ever...October 1, 2011

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Not a hunter myself and I am always sad when Hubby and gang get a deer (but then they always tell me, would you feel bad if it was across your windshield...true i guess) but GREAT JOB!!

Lena B, Actually said...

You shot Bambi! ;)
I'm proud you did what you set out to do... but I don't like looking at pictures of dead animals! I'm too timid for this sort of thing! lol

Jill said...

Congrats on your first deer! I remember the excitement around our house the morning my brother shot his first buck (the first morning he ever hunted!) - the cameras were out for sure! haha! I don't think I could ever do it myself, but if it's something you were working towards, then good for you :)

CindyC said...

Congrats! I was 7 months pregnant when I shot my 1st deer and the adrenaline was insane...loved it! Once I walked over and saw it's lifeless body, I felt terrible :( The disgusting smell of gutting it made me nauseous...needless to say it was the 1st and last deer I shot!!